Thursday, October 20, 2011

When It Rains

It’s pouring in my kitchen, where I work as job hunter, freelance writer/editor, and CEO of the Romano-Altman household. Three freelance assignments from two terrific editors dropped on my desk during the past few days. A great-sounding association with an interesting job opening called me to schedule an interview. I recently ran into a wonderful former colleague who is now a recruiter, and tomorrow I’ll chat with another recruiter who has been very helpful to me over the years. And while keeping my humble abode humming, I’ve fallen a bit behind in chores because the number of eye-catching job announcements has grown during the past couple of weeks and I want to respond in a timely manner.

While juggling this work, I know that it’s key to continue networking and learning. Today I attended a program at Eason Associates that was valuable on both fronts. I picked up new and useful information about QR codes, and I met new colleagues in the publishing community. I start Toastmasters next week as well as social media personal coaching. I’ll be at ASAE soon for an ideas “super swap” and an APAC reception. There’s also an Association Media & Publishing program coming up—it’s on job hunting in the Digital Age.

After the AM&P lunch-and-learn, I’ll be sure to share perspectives on this blog. Meanwhile, here’s a job-searching/networking tip from the QR code presentation delivered by Patti Dumas, vice president at HBP printing. After discussing many applications for boosting association marketing and fundraising with QR codes, Patti noted the value of adding a code to a business card. As job hunters, we need personal cards with our contact information. By adding a code for that info, we have a natural conversation-starter with new colleagues as we exchange cards, and we make it easy for colleagues to scan our contact info into their smartphones.

I’m going to give that a shot…just as soon as I figure out how to create a multitasker costume for Halloween. Ideas welcome!  

No comments: