Thursday, September 15, 2011

Barry Manilow’s Work Ethic

Say whatever you want about Barry Manilow, but the bottom line that you cannot erase is: Barry worked his way out of a rough Brooklyn, New York, childhood. It’s one thing to be born with a gift, as he was; it’s another thing to put it to work, despite all odds.

Yep, I went to Barry’s D.C. concert at The Warner last night, and it was beyond fabulous! Total schmaltz, full orchestra, amazing dancers, streamers bursting in the air, Barry hitting all the notes on every hit song, and all of his charming stories. And, of course, the Barry moves. Once my post-Barry high subsided a bit, I did what I do with everything these days: I thought about how the event applies to job hunting. The main application: Work hard and smart and believe in yourself, and you, too, can get people to buy the never-sell “This One’s for You.” 

I find inspiration in so many places from so many people that I sometimes feel like the biggest sap on the planet. Then balance comes, and I allow some sarcasm--after all, I *am* from Brooklyn! Last night was a piece of inspiration cake. Who or what is the most unusual person or event or thing that has inspired you lately?

2 comments:

Mark Golden said...

Great post.

My father gave me the same advice long ago, and if aess sentimental statement of the thesis is easier to relate to, the way he put it was: "Believe in yourself. First. Always. If you don't believe in yourself first, and without reservation, you will never get anyone else to believe in you."

Gerry Romano, CAE said...

Thanks for sharing, Mark. Wise and inspirational words!